- Copy the script file into Illustrators Scripts folder.
Windows: Somewhere like "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2019\Presets\en_US\Scripts"
Mac: Somewhere like "/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2019/Presets/en_US/Scripts" One can easily navigate to this path by holding the command key and clicking on the Illustrator icon.
- If Illustrator is open then close it and restart it. If it's closed then open it.
- The script should now appear in the File menu File > Scripts > mySuperDuperScript
- Open the action panel Windows > Actions
- Pick or create an action set. To create a new action set click on the actions panels folder icon. Call is something really nice like "My Scripts" or "Creative Scripts"
- Create a new action by clicking on the actions panels folded paper icon. Call it something informative like "My Super Duper Script", make sure it's plonked into the correct set. Assign it a function key with or without key modifiers (Shift / Control) as desired.
- Click on record (The circle icon at the bottom of the panel).
- Click on the actions panels menu icon (located at the top right corner of the panel), click on "Insert Menu Item…" . If you forgot to click on record this option could be grayed out.
- Click on the script's menu item. File > Scripts > mySuperDuperScript then click OK.
- Click on the square stop recording icon.
The script should now run every time you press the chosen function key with the selected key modifiers.
With pre-Illustrator 2018 versions there was a bug and the shortcut would be forgotten on closing Illustrator but this was fixed in Illustrator 2018.